METZELER presents the new Sport Touring Radial tyre ROADTEC™ 01
Mount Fuji (Japan), 10 May 2016 – ROADTEC™ 01, the new Sport Touring Radial tyre of the METZELER line, was developed to offer motorcyclists a high level of grip in different weather conditions, on both dry and wet roads, as well as changeable and low grip surfaces. ROADTEC™ 01 is also capable of offering a mileage of reference in its segment, thanks to more uniform and regular wear, and great stability both at high speeds and with the bike fully loaded.
As apparent from the name, ROADTEC™ 01 is the latest member of the ROADTEC™ family, the line of METZELER products dedicated to Sport Touring Radial tyres. These include ROADTEC™ Z6 and the much-appreciated ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™ of which the ROADTEC™ 01is the designated successor and with respect to which it increases the mileage by about 10% as well as the grip on wet and low friction surfaces. With ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™ the METZELER brand was already the best in class in the Sport Touring segment, as demonstrated by comparative tests carried out by independent bodies such as prestigious motorcycle magazines. The philosophy of the blue elephant brand, however, is to constantly invest in research and development in order to improve even those products which are already considered the undisputed market leader.
The result is the new ROADTEC™ 01 that,whilst keeping a strong link with the family it belongs to, draws a clear dividing line with the past, using completely different development and design criteria compared with the previous products. This is why, to complete the name, ROADTEC™ is not designated a higher model number in respect to the Z8 but with the number 01 instead. This identifies the tyre as a completely new project, from the materials used, to the profiles, to the compounds up to the most evident element, the tread pattern.
Features and advantages of the new ROADTEC™ 01
ROADTEC™ 01 is the latest evolution of METZELER sport touring tyres which, with respect to its predecessor ROADTEC™ Z8 INTERACT™, has among its strong points an improvement of the grip on wet and low-grip surfaces, an increase in mileage (+10%) and a high degree of adaptability to different bikes, riding styles and weather conditions.
- ROADTEC™ 01 has a completely new tread pattern. In particular, the front tyre has grooves that are more transversal with respect to the rolling direction of the tyre. This has made it possible to increase the mechanical grip on slippery surfaces and in different riding situations.
- The area of contact with the asphalt is now wider and shorter and, working together with the 0-degree steel-belt technology of METZELER-branded products, guarantees higher mileage and lasting performance over time.
- The innovative compounds are well adapted to the needs of different categories of motorcyclists. The dual-compound rear solutions, with 100% silica on the shoulders and silica and carbon black in the central band of the tread, ensure mileage and grip in the most varied conditions of use. The 100% silica front tyres ensure great safety while braking, in particular on wet surfaces and on those with low friction.
- The 0-degree steel belt together with the INTERACT™ technology improve stability and comfort, and guarantee foreseeable and precise behaviour, the best for enjoying the road.
- Dedicated sizes for Heavy Weight Motorcycles (HWM) and for enduro street bikes allowing to fit this tyre on a large number of motorcycles belonging to different segments.
The Sport Touring Radial tyre market is one of the most vital, and fared better than others during the economic crisis. In comparison to the past, Sport Touring tyres are becoming widely appreciated by owners of supersport, naked and even enduro bikes thanks to the versatility and mileage of these products.
Volumes in the Sport Touring Radial tyre market are sustained by an increasing number of riders who are now using their bikes as a more economic and dynamic alternative to the car, not only for leisure but also for business related activities. Especially, the latter requires tyres that are able to safely carry the motorcycle regardless of the weather, across the more difficult surfaces of urban commuting. Even when it comes to leisure employment, more often than in the past motorcycles are used 7 days a week and for a number of different activities: from same-day and fast paced trips riding alone on mountain passes, to longer journeys on the highway carrying a passenger and at full load.
Versatility in terms of motorcycles and in terms of riding style, sharing the same needs: grip on different tarmacs, weather conditions and temperatures, mileage and performance consistency, high speed stability and heavy load stability. The new ROADTEC™ 01 was designed to meet these needs.